John Towey of Moylough, Co Sligo, unearthed one
of Ireland’s finest treasures, now named the Moylough Belt Shrine, while digging turf in 1945 on
the family's piece of turbary bog. The bog is not far from an early monastery at
Carrowntemple, so there may be a connection to this holy place. Click photo to enlarge.
The eighth-century Moylough Belt
Shrine is one of
a quartet of Ireland National
Museum's most famous exhibits that represent the finest of metal craftsmanship. The others are the Ardagh Chalice, the Tara Brooch and the Derrynaflan Hoard (a chalice and paten)
The Moylough Belt Shrine is made up of four
hinged copper-alloy plates in form of a belt, each enclosing a fragment of a
simple leather belt, hence naming it as a belt shrine. Two front plates form a false “buckle” whose frames are decorated with bird and animal
heads and end in elaborate glass pieces. Archaeologists suggest that richness
of the ornamentation indicates it was made for ceremonial purposes, or was to
contain a sacred relic.
There is no record how the belt shrine ended up
four feet down in the bog. There were no wrappings around the hinged bronze object. Speculation therefore is it was
dropped and lost then sank
down into the bog over time, rather than deliberately buried.
Derrinacartha School, 1826 to 1985
Historical information about Derrinacartha School was written in a booklet titled Derrinacartha National School Centenary, written in Summer 1985, . The first school in 1826 was reportedly a stone structure with thatched roof, replaced by a successor school about 1885. Several Toweys taught at and principled the school. The article may be seen by clicking Derrinacartha School. In closing, the article acknowledges replacement of Derrinacarha School
with a new school in 1985 at nearby Dernabruck.
Another Derrinacartha School article that appeared in the same booklet identifies Derrinacartha School children that later fought in World War II, including Major Hugh Towey
Derrinacartha Church Six of
14 Stations of the Cross in Derrinacartha Church were donated by Towey's, so says an item from the Derrinacartha N.S. Centenary 1885-1985, by Jackie Henry and
Mary T. Geever.
Donors were: 1 and 2: Mary Towey NT (National Teacher); 3 - deceased friends of
Mary Towey; 4 - Pat and Mrs. Towey NT; 5 - Mary Towey of Ardcul; 6 - Pray for John Towey. Mary Towey NT was principal of the
girls part of Derrnacartha School from 1890-1915. Station 4's Mrs Towey might be Ellen Moran Towey who taught the school for 50 years before
retiring in 1925. One of her 6 children, daughter Mary
Towey O'Connor, also taught at the school from 1916-1949.
Siobhan Regan, a teenager in Castlemore, wrote an article in December 1990 about Castlemore history, particularly its flax mill (latter 18th Century) that was later replaced by the corn mill (mid 19th century). She describes the need, operation, ownership and closure of both. They were water powered and labour intensive. Siobhan Regan's chronicle may be viewed at the link Castlemore Mills.
Thomas Finn wrote about Cloontia, a townland about 5.1 miles (8 kilometers) northwest of Ballaghaderreen. He grew up and lived there, along with hundreds of families he personally knew. Thomas Finn was born in 1920 and wrote his chronicle in 1999, up to 80 years about Cloontia families. He names husbands and wives, their children including spouses and often the grandchildren. For spouses, Tom also identifies the townland he/she migrated from.
Tom estimated there were 131 homes around Cloontia in the 1920s. Given about 6 people
per house (father, mother + 4
children), there could have been approximately 786 people. In 1999, he says there were only about 60 homes and given an average
of 4 in every house that is approximately 240 people. What a decline in population!
Beyond names of the families, most interesting is Tom's summary of Irish living from the 1920s through entry of Ireland to the European Union. Therefore, his chronicle is presented in two parts as linked herein. Most interesting is Tom's summary of Cloontia Life. Second is his chronicle of Cloontia Families.
Among the hundreds of family names, he identifies 38 Toweys that lived in Cloontia homesteads, including original homestead of the Towey spouses. Cloontia and a couple of villages are on the general map of roads and towns surrounding the Ballaghaderreen area, and may be viewed and downloaded by clicking Ballaghaderreen Area Map.
Townland or Village Total Families Towey Families
Dernabruck Townland Crowhill Village 4 Slievemore Village 6 2 Islandmore
Village 7 2 Ballahere Village 19 3 Shanwalla
Village 13 11 Derryaraune Village 18 5
Cloonmeen Townland 14 8
Killgarriff Townland 32 5
Tavnaghbeg Townland Tavnaghbeg Village 12 1 Cullgeragaurn Village 6 1